Re: more alt key questions

Lo, on Saturday, April 6, Bob Thibodeau did write:

> On Sat, Apr 06, 2002 at 04:16:35PM -0600, Richard Cobbe wrote:

> > First step: see what keysym your alt keys are generating.  Run xev (from
> > the xbase-clients package), make sure the new window has focus, and hit
> > both alt keys.  If you want the plastic bump labeled `alt' on your
> > keyboard to act as meta in emacs, then you should see something like the
> > following:

<SNIP>

                   ~~~~~~~~~~~  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> >     XLookupString gives 0 characters:  ""

<SNIP>

> Events are received, 64 and 113.

Since you've already fixed this, I'm just nitpicking.  The relevant
details here are not the keycodes but the keysyms.  Your keyboard
generates, in hardware, a number corresponding to each key (= physical
piece of plastic) on the board; this number is the keycode.  The X
server receives this and maps it into a keysym.  The server sends the
keysym to the application with input focus; apps should never see raw
keycodes.  (On PC hardware, anyway; not sure about how other systems
work off the top of my head.)

For this situation, you'd want to see the keys generating keysyms Meta_L
and Meta_R.

Richard