Re: I wish to ask a silly question on starting an ftp server

On Sun, 2002-04-07 at 22:05, shyamk wrote:

> How do you start an FTP server program ?
> This might be a silly question , but it is
> something for which I have no answer.
>
> In our server , we faced a two-fold problem :
>
> o  One that we could not log-in as any user.This I solved
>    by entering single-user mode (on rebooting after we knew
>    something was wrong).
> o  The second thing is we can not ftp  onto our server !
>    This has to mean that the FTP server program , was :
>    - either corrupted
>    - or not installed
>    - or mysteriously  un-installed
>
>    We settled for the first reason , because
>    /usr/sbin/in.ftpd
>    existed.
>
>    Now I tried /usr/sbin/in.ftpd -S which is supposed to make the
>    daemon run.But when I did a
>    ps -A|less   or   ps -A|grep in.ftpd
>
>    I did not find any semblance to ftp among the processes
>    displayed.
>
>    Please help me out. My problem is extermely urgent.

Your /usr/sbin/in.ftpd may be running under inetd which means it wont be
in the task list until someone connects to it.

Running in single user mode, it will never start, because inetd doesn't
run in single user mode. Run it in multi user mode. If its not working
properly in multi user mode, find out why and fix that.

Kind Regards
Crispin Wellington