Re: No Internet Connection (DHCP)

Brian W. Carver wrote:
>Your assumptions below are correct.
>
>I am using potato 2.2 r5, but this problem started when a dselect session
>went bad
>and I believe that I may now have some sid and some woody packages.
>
>I know I have a new xdm interface because it looks totally different when
>I boot up
>now.  I had the internet working just fine, had the dselect problems, did a
>control-alt-backspace to login again and it wouldn't take my root
>password.  So I
>pressed reset on the computer, it booted up again, this time with the new
>xdm login
>box that says debian and has the swirl on it, and then it took my root
>login no
>problem.  Ever since that fateful reboot, I've had no internet.
>
>I searched the whole disk and I do not have a dhclient.conf.  I didn't

Potato has the dhcp-client software - it has a /etc/dhclient.conf file.
As Jason suggested, looking up in /etc/init.d/ is also a great idea - in
fact you should start with that itself, looking for keywords like boot,
pump, dhcp, dhclient, etc.

>used to need
>one, or at least *I* never made any changes to one to get online before.

Sometimes, computers behave in mysterious ways :-). But seriously, as
mentioned by Jason, you might have pump, or perhaps bootp. You can
search by

$ dpkg -l bootp

The generic version is

$ dpkg -l 'regular-expr-matching-the-package-name'

So,

$ dpkg -l '*boot*'

would show up all packages that contain 'boot' in their name. And you
can use "dpkg -L" to list all files in a package. I don't know if you
know these commands already, but they are there if need to use them.

>Why would my "server" machine have a "client" config file anyway?  (The
>terminology
>in the world of networking always baffles me.)

Jason has already answered this correctly.

>One way to solve my problems might be if I could get apt-get/dselect to go
>back to
>the potato cd-roms I have and undo all the changes that went crazy during
>that
>dselect session.  Is there a way to do this short of re-installing potato
>from
>scratch?  (P.S. my sources.list file no longer lists the cdroms, what's
>the exact
>phrasing I need in that file?)  Thanks!

Look up the man pages on apt-cdrom and sources.list.

By the way, I noticed some peculiarities in your dhcpd.conf relating to
the name server entries.

Anyway, have you tried pinging by IP address? If not, try to ping
216.239.33.101. It's the IP address for www.google.com.

-Andy