Forcing broken essential packages to install

Hi,

I'm trying to finish my configuration and when setting is configuring
some essential packages locales and sendmail, it exits with error "tr
: command not found" and "sort:command not found" I've inspected those
files and they belong to textutils, which is apparently correctly
installed, the strange thing is if I go to /usr/bin both files appear
with a .dpkg-temp extension say tr.dpkg-tmp . How can I fix this and
force a reinstallation of textutils ?

Regards,
Rick