Re[2]: dhcpd.conf

Friday, April 05, 2002, 10:04:00 AM, Brian W. Carver wrote:

> # Here's where you set up your range of Dynamic IP Addresses. I set mine
> # for 10 because I don't honestly think I'll have more than 10 computers
> # hooked up. It is in this range that your Laptop will have an IP Address
> # of. You could certainly set it to a range of 100-255 if you want,
> # reserving the first 100 IPs for Static.
> subnet 192.168.0.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 {
>   range 192.168.0.1 192.168.0.10;
> }

The range listed there should be for dynamic IP addresses. If you want
192.168.0.2, .3, .4, etc for your permanently connected machines, then
change the range to "range 192.168.0.10 192.168.0.20;"  Don't put
192.168.0.1 in the range because that's your Router's IP address, and
don't assign it to any other computers on your network either.

> host debian.charterpipeline.com {
>   hardware ethernet 00:C0:F0:56:2E:E9;
>   fixed-address 192.168.0.1;
> }

If ^^ is the Linux MAC address, you can take that out. You don't need
dhcp to give its own machine an IP address since you set that on bootup
with the /etc/network/interfaces.

> Now they say:

> DNS Servers 24.205.1.62

> This 24.205.1.62 is supposed (I think) to only show up on the box
> directly connected to the ISP, not on the others. Any ideas on what
> setting messed that up, or whether that is even the problem?

The DNS server is correct. Your Windows computer needs to know what DNS
server to use so that when you type www.google.com it can translate that
to the dotted IP address. If you're not running a DNS server on your
Linux box, you definately need to route that through to 24.205.1.62.

> Unfortunately now though, I've taken a step backwards. I was running
> dselect and updating (apparently too much stuff) via ftp and I got a
> weird error saying I had no space left in /var/cache/apt/archives. I
> have a mostly empty 60GB hard drive

And, unfortunately, this is beyond my scope as well. I'm new to this
too.  My only guess here is try a "apt-get clean"

As far as I know, it shouldn't be a problem to install "too much"
through dselect, unless you're ignoring dependencies.

If anyone else can help here, please do! =]

--
  - Alan Poulton (apoulton@telus.net) -
A pessimist complains about the noise when opportunity knocks