Samba as PDC

Here's three question about configuring Samba as a PDC.

1. Can the Samba server be configured to force users to periodically change their passwords?

2. I have put this question out before but no one provided an answer, but maybe this time. I remember once talking to MS about CALs for NT Servers. Their basic explanation was that, if any user needs to be authorized by a server to gain access to resources on a server, then said user must have a CAL. Well, my question is: if an NT server is no longer providing the authentication (as it is now being done by Samba), then perhaps said user doesn't need an MS CAL.

3. This question may be unrelated to Samba. We have a mixed environment: Windows & Linux workstations. Getting back to question 1. Great, Windows users are authenticated by the SAMBA server. Is there a way to have Linux client authenticated by a Linux Server (best if it were the SAMBA Server)? The ideal situation being that one and the same server are providing authentication for all users regardless of their OS. Also, that that server require periodic changes to user passwords.

I would appreciate any responses.

Curtis Vaughan