Re: USB Mass Storage in 2.4.18-686

You should probably also have scsi-generic loaded as a module

modprobe sg

You could install the package scsiadd, then run
scsiadd -s

to scan the scsi devices.

On occasion (no idea why), I suddenly needed to mount sdb1 instead of sda1.

I use this sandisk reader on 2.4.18 without a problem, but it is not a stock kernel.

Let me know if you need more info.

Tom

john wrote:

Hi

I recently installed kernel image 2.4.18-686 under Woody but found I was unable to mount my Sandisk CF reader (SDDR-31), whereas under 2.4.17-686
this works flawlessly.

So I get the source - debian kernel-source-2.4.18-4, configure it, compile.
Still no go, but I get a handy error message (I expect because I
turned on kernel debugging):

# mount /mnt/cam
resize_dma_pool: unknown device type -1
mount: /dev/sda1 is not a valid block device

I'm using the same usb/scsi configure options as in my successful
2.4.17 kernel, and the appropriate modules all seem to be loaded:

# lsmod grep 'usb\|scsi'
usb-storage            48000   0  (unused)
scsi_mod               84984   2  [sd_mod usb-storage]
usbcore                48192   0  [uhci usb-storage]

... usb-storage is unused though, as if the kernel can't find the
device - which I guess is what the original error is saying.

Anyone have any clues on this?
Anything more I should try?

Does this look like a genuine bug that I should report - I'm new to debian so I'm unused to the protocols for this, but as I say it works fine in 2.4.17-686 whether I use the pre-compiled binary or complile it myself.