ALSA problems

Hello.

I have tried to install kernel 2.5.7 and am trying to use
ALSA here. I have a Creative Vibra 16C (SB compatible). Now
with all the modules I was just saying 'modprobe snd-sb16'
and it was loading the modules just fine without any
problems, looks really nice. (I have devfs enabled, too)

Now... no /dev/dsp is there.

Can anyone please advise what I am to do or what 'the debian
way' is here? Should I install the alsa-base or stuff? Do I
still need alsa-source or any such things?

Any takers? Please, every hint is just highly welcome as I
cannot play any DVDs here... ;->

Thanks in advance,
Alexander