Problem recognising floppy with debian

G'day,
I have just installed Debian on an old IBM 486SL so that I can learn GNU/Linux for my university subject.

I have installed the OP successfully using just the A drive though now that I am up and running, I can't access the A drive. (my only source of communication with the outside world, on that computer...)

I believe I need to "mount" the floppy.

I have used -mount/floppy from the / dir also from /mnt

I have also used a number of others though instead of me confusing myself I simply thought I would ask you, none have worked so far.

I cant write to a floppy nor can I see files on it.

thanks, if anyone can help
aussie shane