Duplex printing problems

Hello.

We have a Brother HL-1670N printer here attached to a Debian sid box. The
printer supports duplex printing.

I can't find out what is the correct way to control the duplex printing by
software (not by printer control panel).

In past, I used to use lpd + magicfilter. But I don't know how to control
duplex with it.

I've installed CUPS and put there an official PPD from Brother.
Now there is a duplex control in the printer settings, and it works
sometimes, but still sometimes duplex behaves strangely when printing some
PS files downloaded from network. Some files are printed correctly, but
when printing others the back side of paper is printed upside-down (with
the same printer settings). Such files can be printed correctly if Duplex
is set to DuplexTumble, but to find out that the option is necessary I have
to print the first 2 pages first :-(.

So the question is - how to find out what is the correct setting
(DuplexNoTumble or DuplexTumble) to print a particular file without any
upside-downs ?  If there is a way to get the correct setting, I will attach
a script to CUPS to set the setting when it gets the file ...