Re: package installing

On Wed, 2002-04-03 at 23:57, fti International wrote:
> What is the command that you can type at shell to invoke
> the program that presents you the option of choosing
> Simple and Advanced installation methods for packages?
>
> I know "apt-setup" and "modconf" will do apt and moudle
> (re)congfiguratons, so I guess there should be a program  to
> do what I mentioned above.  I am having trouble w/ package
> installations!!

OK here is the deal.  If what you are talking about is the question
during the install about which method of package selection you want to
use, that selection is not stored anywhere.  All it does is invoke
tasksel for simple and dselect for advanced.  I would tell you to run
tasksel, but that is really only useful for the install time.  Once you
select the tasks you want from tasksel you must you another frontend to
APT and dpkg.  Some of these are apt-get and friends, dselect, aptitude,
and gnome-apt.  These are just a few.  I know there are many more.  I
personally use apt-get and friends.  They are simple command line tools
that are truly easier to use than any of the gui apps that are out
there.  If you want to see if something is in the archive just do an
apt-cache search <key-word>  and then once you find the package do an
apt-get install <package-name>  Also upgrades are simple.  All you need
is apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade  (I recommend always using the
dist-upgrade instead of upgrade when tracking stable.  It handles
dependencies better.)  As usually YMMV, but I would try out a few and
see which one you are most comfortable with and stick with it.  I hope I
helped you some.

--
-Peace kid
  Scott Henson	shenson2@wvu.edu

"God's the ultimate playa, so naturally He's going to have some haters,"
rapper Ice Cube said. "But these haters need to realize that  if you
mess with the man upstairs, you will get your ass smote. True dat."