linux PPP in minicom

Dear Sir,
I am trying out to connect to internet using Dial up connection......
I want to do it using standard  AT commands, to the modem which is
connected to my Lap top's serial port.
I want to write a program in C so that Dial up connection is made
whenever I invoke this program
I used the following AT commands, in "minicom" and I got the following
results with the
results :

ATZ~
OK
ATM0L0
OK
ATDT0,172315
CONNECT 31200 /ARQ /V34 /LAPM /V42BIS
Annex Command Line Interpreter * Copyright (C) 1988, 1999 Bay Networks
Checking authorization, Pleas wait.....
Username......
Password.....
Switching to PPP.
And some seies of characters....
NO CARRIER

But I receive the result to be NO CARRIER .....Can you please tell me
what could be the problem...
With the same ISP account i am able to dial and connect to internet
using KPPP dialer....

Once the dial up is over with minicom,, I can integrate the AT commands
in my C program, to Read and write from/to Serial port, ( Hope this
works)

Expecting your response at the earliest,,,
Thanks and Regards,
Chitra