Re: Debain admin book?

on Mon, Apr 01, 2002, Grant Edwards (grante@visi.com) wrote:

> Can anybody recommend a decent book on Debian system administration?
> I stopped at the local computer store on my way home and browsed
> through books published by the usual suspects.
>
> IIRC, I looked at Learning D Linux, D Unleashed, The D Bible.

All crap titles from crap publishers.

Intriguingly, the Sams _Installing Debian GNU/Linux_ title is actually
pretty good, but only gets you through the install.

> I'm looking for a good source of info that's specific to Debian
> systems.  Something I can hand to an experienced Unix/Linux
> administrator who hasn't done Debian stuff before.

For references, I'd start with Debian Policy.  The one thing that IMO
makes the biggest difference between Debian and other GNU/Linux _is_
policy.  This also provides a good overview of the package management
system.

Then check out the docs at http://www.debian.org/doc/.  The quality is
uneven, but there are some gems.

Beyond this, another strength of Debian are the online documents:
/usr/share/doc/<package name>, HOWTOs, and other gems.

> I had high hopes for "Debian GNU/Linux: Guide to Installation
> and Usage" as mentioned under "Manuals" at
> http://www.debian.org/doc/, but following the link to New
> Riders yields nothing. Apparently the book is out of print.  :(

Unfortunately, print dogs age rapidly.

Peace.

--
Karsten M. Self <kmself@ix.netcom.com>           http://kmself.home.netcom.com/
   _You_ choose the stylesheet for a change: