Ho to enable the gdm chooser as the greeting display

I tried this many times and never was really successful and understood how
all works together, please someone give me a push in the right direction.

Here is what I want to accomplish:

The X server starts and displays a list of computers willing to manage a
display. The user selects one, which might be the local host or another one,
and gets the login screen. She logs in, logs out when the session is over
and the screen with the list of willing computers is shown again.

In short, I want a linux box to do the same what a usual X Terminal would do
as well. The chooser should also appear eventually after the user presses
Ctrl-Alt-Backspace or after the server gets killed in some other way.

Nils

--
                                     ______
                                    (Muuuhh)