CDROM / apt-get problems

I have two cdrom drives: a compaq dvd rom, philips cdr
while trying to install debain potato, i can install the base system sucessfully
using either of the cd drives but when it comes to the apt-get program thet
program informs me that it cannot automatically locate the cdrom drive(s)
and to specify the location of the device file.....why is this?
I can log into to system but cannot mount either of the drives as root and
there is no mention of the in fstab all tho both appear in boot info screen
as hdc and hdd
any ideas?