Re: disable xdm

On Mon, 2002-04-01 at 19:44, Phil wrote:
> how can I disable xdm and boot into terminal mode.  I prefer to use startx.

The preferred method for this is to set initdefault to 3.

Look in /etc/inittab for this line:

Change the 5 to a 3.

As root, you can change runlevel to 3 by issuing "telinit 3".

If xdm still starts, check /etc/rc3.d for an xdm entry, and remove it if

Peter Whysall
The TLD in my email address is sdrawkcab.
Debian GNU/Linux 3.0 sid -- kernel 2.4.18