Re: LILO doesn't work!

black.fish wrote:
> hi! i've got a problem with my debian woody. when i installed it there
> was an  error message like: "writing lilo... hmm, i think you're
> writing a fs ...  this might be an important bug...". it came when i
> the installer was just writing the base of woody. since i can't boot

In /usr/sbin/liloconfig:
	Hmm. I think you're configuring the base filesystem, and I'm
	therefore simply going to exit sussessfully without trying to
	actually configure LILO properly. If you're not doing that, this
	is an important bug against Debian's lilo package, and should be
	reported as such

Since you were just writing the base, liloconfig didn't bother to
properly configure LILO. Check /etc/lilo.conf for any problems.

> linux normally. when i start my  pc without a boot disk, the screen
> looks like this:
> "L 40 40 40 40 40 40 40..." and it doesn't stop printing "04" on the
> screen until i reset with a boot disk. i looked at /boot and noticed
> that the boot.b is uncomplete. there's a error message like "error
> while writing..." at the end of the file. i tried to rewrite lilo.
> then i downloaded the latest version of lilo and tried again but it
> didn't work. what shall i do? please help me!

A couple months ago, I got the "L 40 40 40 40 ..." after rearranging
some partitions. It was because LILO didn't like the the line
"boot=/dev/hda5" (how that was set, I can't remember, but I think that I
used (for the last time) liloconfig), which refered it to a logical
partition. It works with "boot=/dev/hda".

All I can say is, check /etc/lilo.conf for errors. And for a statement
about the error, I refer you to /usr/share/doc/lilo/Manual.txt.gz:

	Disk error codes
	[...]
	0x40   "Seek failure". This might be a media problem. Try booting
	 again.

(Yes, that's all there is for that error code)

Seneca
seneca@slemish.com