Command line access to X cut buffer?

I have a bunch of tools (FvwmButton setup, etc.) that want to grab the
contents of the X cut buffer and use it to invoke programs, etc.

For example, if I select a hostname and click mouse-2 on a button in my
FvwmButtons, I want to start an rxvt which logs into that host:

    rxvt -e ssh `<display-cut-buffer-contents>`

or whatever.

The only command-line tool I've been able to find that will retrieve the
value of the cut buffer and display it to stdout is wxpaste, which comes
wmaker.  Nothing against wmaker, but I don't use it and I'd prefer to
not have to install it.  Are there other alternatives for a tool like
this?

Thanks...