Re: Yamaha CDR not working

Did you compile ide-scsi support ? If not, append a
hdx=ide-scsi

to your append= line in lilo.conf, where hdx is you CDRW drive.
Then 'modprobe ide-scsi sr_mod sg' and in the end 'cdrecord -scanbus'.
This should work. There is no problem if some of them are compiled as
modules or into the kernel. It is important that you boot with
hdx=ide-scsi and that you have support for scsi, ide-scsi, scsi cdrom
(sr_mod) and scsi generic (sg). There was another thread on ATAPI CDRW a
few days ago. Search the archives for details.

Good Luck,
Ionut

On Thu, Mar 28, 2002 at 11:59:02AM -0500, John Kerr Anderson wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have been trying to get a Yamaha CDR drive working using kernel 2.2.18
> in a 2.2 version of Potato.  I added SCSI support in the kernel, it comes
> up as recognised.  I also put the append statement in lilo (I don't use a
> modular kernel).  I have had the drive working before, but reinstalled
> Debian on it.  I tried the link statement for the CD-Writer HOWTO:
>
> cd /dev/ && rm cdrom && ln -s scd0 cdrom
>
> When I try to mount the cd rom the following error results:
>
> mount: /dev/cdrom is not a valid block device
>
> Can anyone help?
>
> PS please send correspondonce to my address because for some reason I
> cannot subscribe to this list.  After sendiing a confirmation e mail
> nothing comes back.
>
> Thanks in advance....
>
> JKA
>

> --

* Ionut Georgescu
* http://www.physik.tu-cottbus.de/~george/
* Registered Linux User #244479
*
* "In Windows you can do everything Microsoft wants you to do; in Unix you
*                can do anything the computer is able to do."