Upgraded to kernel 2.4.18, and pcmcia cards no longer work.

Help!

I've spent about a week trying to get Debian up and running on my Toshiba
Satellite 330CDS laptop. I was using the bf2.4 floppies to install the base
system. Once I got that up and running (connected to my local network via a
pcmcia ethernet card, and thus to the internet) I started installing
additional software (eg X, KDE, and so forth).

As a last step I installed the 2.4.18 kernel. I reconfigured lilo.conf,
rebuilt lilo and rebooted.

Unfortunately, now my pcmcia cards do not work! Even if I boot using the
previous kernel (2.4.16).

Now, before changing kernels the cards worked--though, I often had to pop
them out and reinsert them before the ethernet interface would start
working.

Booting from the boot floppy I made during installation still works.

Here's some of the more techy bits:

I installed  kernel-image-2.4.18-586tsc and
kernel-pcmcia-modules-2.4.18-586tsc. When I shut down and restart the
pcmcia as follows:

# /etc/init.d/pcmcia stop
Shutting down PCMCIA services:.
# /etc/init.d/pcmcia start
Starting PCMCIA services: modulesinsmod: a module named pcmcia_core already
exists
/lib/modules/2.4.18-586tsc/pcmcia/i82365.o: unresolved symbol
isapnp_find_dev_R9991be23
/lib/modules/2.4.18-586tsc/pcmcia/ds.o: init_module: Operation not permitted
Hint: insmod errors can be caused by incorrect module parameters, including
invalid IO or IRQ parameters
cardmgr.
#

Any suggestions? I think the boot floppy is also booting using the
framebuffer (I get the little penguine icon in the upper left corner). This
doesn't happen when I boot from either of the hard drive images.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
-Rich-