Re: Help with window manager

Alan Shrimpton wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I am running GNU/Linux with Gnome but something is a miss and I hope you can
> help.
>
> I don't know what is normal but the only menu I have is by right clicking on
> the desktop and Debian menu pops up.  Click on Apps for example and Apps
> menu pops out.

it sounds like GNOME is using Windowmaker as it's default window manager...

make sure you download these:

apt-get install gnome-control-center gnome-admin gnome-network gnome-utils
gnome-sound gnome-applets  gmc sawfish

all on one line. that will download a slightly hefty but functional package of
GNOME goodies.

using the gnome-control-center, you can tell GNOME which window manager to
use...sawfish is the 'default' choice for GNOME...and you'll find that all you
have to do is enter the name of the window manager and the command that starts
it...

> I have a WMDock in the right hand corner with XTerm, WPrefs Icons and
> another Icon with a paper clip with Main and 1 on it.
>
> I think I should have a menu on the bottom with a foot but don't have it.
>
> My questions are:
>
> 1. What desktop do I have?  I think it is Gnome

you are correct

> 2. What window manager is it?  I think it is Window Maker but Gnome Control
> Center under the Window Manager section has twm (current) then Window Maker
> under it.

correct again...make sure you download the packages i mention above...use the
control center to manually add sawfish as your window manager. name: sawfish
command: sawfish and check the 'session is managed' button...

> 3. Recommend a way to stop these massive windows to go beyond my screen
> boundaries?

once you use sawfish, you'll be all set  ;)

> 4. Recommend another desktop or window manager to do what I want in question

stick with GNOME...it's pretty slick...

if you want all the bells and whistles, use KDE (big...fat)
if you want 'oldie but goodie', use FVWM or TWM
slick, and really light, Blackbox or Fluxbox
strange, but somehow nice, XFCE

all you need to do is download these packages and edit your .xinitrc file in
your home directory. you can do a whole lot to make X look pretty with that
file.

> Thanks, Al
>
> --

good luck!