Re: Advice req on switching from static to dynamic IP ...

On Wed, Mar 27, 2002 at 03:06:13PM -0400, C-Cose Masters wrote:
> QUESTION - 1 !!!
>
> My thought is that ~prior~ to installing my pppOE, I should rename the
> /etc/init.d file so that it does not load, so that the only script
> called is the /etc/network/interfaces script. Yes? No?

PPPoE is a PPP interface over ethernet. It is started from ppp so init.d/ppp
manages that. There is a file /etc/ppp/no_ppp_on_boot that tells
init.d/ppp not to start ppp on boot.

> Also, as I will be using pppOE rather than dhcp, what changes will have
> to be made to this file (if any). My box is rarely turned off, so I am
> only concerned about my system coming up with ease whenever I am forced
> to reboot (new kernel etc.).

ppp manages stuff. I think it req. that eth be up but not configured.

> QUESTION - 2 !!!
>
> I will also no longer be forced to use the g*dawful hostname assigned by
> my ISP, I would like to change my host (and domain) names to reflect a
> future change in number of boxes and implementing of a home system. I
> will eventually have a FQDN, but would like to use a version of that
> now. Would a "home" or "sys" domain extension be appropriate or
> conversely case problems? I have at least two files that contain my
> current hostname (hostname and HOSTNAME); which should be changed.
                   ^^^^^^^^^ [/etc/hostname]

> I'm also assuming that those hosts should also be entered in my hosts
> file to allow access to/from them.
>
> I've also been assured by my ISP that my DNS entried will be unaffected
> by the change (thanks for small favours).

I have a caching DNS server on inside with authoritative zone for a domain name.
You can pick any domain name there just don't send it to secondaries if you
have any! :) [that is, outside your local net -- set notify to no in bind].

Then you can use a FQDN internally.

Hope this helps,
- Adam