Re: Alsa and debian

On Thu, 28 Mar 2002, Cheryl Homiak wrote:

> Besides the fact that the card does work when using kernel support instead of
> alsa, and the fact that I just discovered that the /dev/audio0 permissions are
> different from those of the symlink /dev/audio, there is one more peculiarity
> that may or may not help.
> With the compiled-in kernel support, my internet radio stations and sound files
> run pretty well, but "saytime" is murdered. there is lots of static, and the
> speech cuts off before the end of the time announcement. this didn't happen with
> my old sb16.
> Don't know if this means anything; just trying to give any information that
> might give somebody a clue.
> I wondered if maybe I needed to put in parameters: ports etc., but  couple of
> people i've talked to said they didn't have to do that.

Is there some reason you don't want to use the built-in kernel-support for
SB live? I've compiled the kernel (2.4.17) with support for SB as a
module. It was a piece of cake and everything I've tried seems to work,
though I didn't test it extensively, and the sound quality seemed quite
good.  On the other hand I have never had anything but grief from ALSA.
Also, note that Creative has their own drivers for SB Live, which you
might want to look at.

SB Live is so common you might want to do a search for "soundblaster live
alsa" or even "soundblaster live alsa debian" in Google Groups and see
what you come up with. I get a fair number of hits for each but I am not
sure how useful they would be.

You could also try asking for help on the alsa-users mailing list, which
would probably be a better forum than this one.

By the way, I don't seem to have a /dev/audio0. Did you make this? Are you
sure it is necessary?

I'm getting a new computer next week (hurray!), and the sound card is a SB
Live, and so I may be doing some experimenting of my own with ALSA.

Have you tried alsaconf?

By the way, if you are going around changing things, keep a record of what
you have changed or you may break something.

I took a look on Google, and here are lines for SB Live, courtesy of Paul
Smith. See thread entitled "Creative Live Value !!" dated 2000-10-17 on
muc.lists.debian.user. Paul is the maintainer of GNU Make, BTW. I think
you need to add this as a file to /etc/modutils and run update-modules, to
regenerate modules.conf.

 # This configures ALSA support for the SoundBlaster LIVE! (emu10k1)

  alias char-major-116 snd
  options snd snd_major=116 snd_cards_limit=1

  alias snd-card-0 snd-card-emu10k1
  options snd-card-emu10k1 snd_index=1 snd_id="SBLive"

  alias char-major-14 soundcore
  alias sound-slot-0 snd-card-0
  alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss
  alias sound-service-0-1 snd-seq-oss
  alias sound-service-0-3 snd-pcm-oss
  alias sound-service-0-8 snd-seq-oss
  alias sound-service-0-12 snd-pcm-oss

This differs from yours slightly (options lines, I think) so give it a
try.

                                                            Faheem.