Re: [OT] Re: CALL FOR HELP

On Wed, Mar 27, 2002 at 11:07:22PM -0500, Peter S Galbraith wrote:
> Colin Watson <cjwatson@debian.org> wrote:

> > > [snip for confidentiality]
> > >
> > > I responded to a similar letter a while back concerning the civil
> > > unrest in Nigeria and the plot of smuggling funds into the United
> > > States, but the recipient failed to respond.
> >
> > I hope you're not serious. :) It's a well-known scam, sometimes known as
> > the "419 Fraud" - type 'Nigeria scam' into Google and you get quite a
> > number of relevant hits.
>
> From what I've heard years ago, some of these scammers get people to
> travel there where they are either kidnapped or threatened.  I wouldn't
> even play along with these people.

The scam is widespread and the scammers adapt their story to suit the
victim.

A few years ago the Catholic cathedral in Sioux Falls SD was informed
that some warlord had died and left millions of dollars to their
church.  However, there were legal issues and $25,000 was needed to
free up the money.  The church sent $25,000, anbd got nothing.
Needless to say, they felt pretty silly after it was reported in the
local paper ...

--
Nathan Norman - Micromuse Ltd.  mailto:nnorman@micromuse.com
Gil-galad was an Elven-king.            |  The Fellowship