Re: Re: divx codec

Derek Williams wrote:

>On Thu, 2002-03-28 at 03:29, Alberto Vecchiato wrote:
>> Hi all.  Anoyone knows if it is possible to play divx movies on Linux?
>> Any suggestion on the player, where to find codecs, etc.?
<--snip-->

>I personally prefer mplayer, which can be downloaded from:
>http://www.mplayerhq.hu/homepage/
>I believe it is debian friendly, just have to debuild it. You'll want to
>install codecs first though so they get compiled in. Grab the win32
>codecs file from the mplayer download page to play pretty much all the
>microsoft video formats. I downloaded divx from this site:
>http://avifile.sourceforge.net/download.htm
>you'll want divx4linux off of that site, there is a divx5 download
>there. You can also compile in DVD support and many others. You can find
>complete documentation of what files you need for all of that at
>http://www.mplayerhq.hu/DOCS
>Also if anything I suggested here doesn't work, check the DOCS page for
>more detailed intructions.

There are already debian packages for mplayer at
http://marillat.free.fr. Fortunately, it's apt-gettable.
Just add the line

deb http://marillat.free.fr/ stable main

in your /etc/apt/sources.list file. Replace stable with
testing or unstable if you're using Woody or Sid.
AFAIK, this site also has debian packages for other
multimedia software like xtheater et. al. There's also
the codecs that you'd need, packaged as debian
packages.

    -->paolo

Paolo Alexis Falcone