login/logout scripting

I want to run a certain script when someone logs in (run at user level)
and another when they logout. I want them to run no matter what type of
login is in progress (shell, ssh, xdm etc).

How should I go about this? Is is possible to somehow do it through PAM?
Or will I need to run it from a few places and if so where?

To elaborate, I really only need to run it on the first login, and the
last logout from a system. So if a user goes.

xdm login -> login script runs.
ssh in from another machine
X logout back to xdm
ssh session closed -> logout script runs.

I can implement this in the script if I can just run it every time.
There may be a more elegant solution though.

Looking forward to some insight.

Kind Regards
Crispin Wellington