Re: 2 nics, 1 network, puzzle?

<quote who="Shawn Yarbrough">

> eth0 --> 192.168.1.130
> eth1 --> 192.168.1.131

> The kernel seems to pick one of the cards (somewhat arbitrarily) and
> starts answering pings to BOTH addresses on the ONE card!  Could this be
> some kind of ARP bug?  I can physically pull the plug out of the other
> card (the one that the kernel appears to not be using anymore) and the
> system still answers pings to both addresses!

hmm, the system should always pick eth0 to respond to both addresses.
this is normal behavior. i've tried what you seem to be trying many
times in the past and its always been that way for me at least.

packets may arrive for the 2nd ip on the 2nd nic(don't remember), but
replies should get always sent out the first nic(if I remember right).

if you want some kind of load balancing I reccomend a hardware
solution, I a using Znyx (or is it Zynx) 4-port NICs, which have opensource
drivers, and they support hardware failover(you can get 2port versions
too), not too cheap..and I haven't actually used the hardware failover
feature I just needed 4 NICs in 1 pci slot.

if its a bug, then its been there for years, if not forever. you
may be able to make it work 'better' by setting up ip routing, a
co worker of mine was able to get this working to turn his machine
into a multihomed box, with 1 nic on 2 different networks, without
the ip routing rules the 2nd interface would be unusable(i've posted
a few times on this list on that topic ..)

nate