OT: Is .RTF an Open Standard?

I'm trying to educate some users on the dangers of proprietary file formats. But to make sure I've got my facts right, I need to ask: Is the Rich Text Format (.rtf) an open standard? (In other words, can I say something like "Use an open standard format, like .RTF"? Or do I need to say "Use a less proprietary format like .RTF"? I would prefer to say the first one.) I understand it was developed by Microsoft, but is it owned by Microsoft? Do I understand that there are actually two different .RTF formats?

Is there a true open standard format, that is easily created/used/editted on any platform, other than text? (Text (ASCII? - and what's the difference between DOS ASCII and Windows ASCII, and Text ASCII, etc?) would be ideal, except for the inability to do such things as bold, font color, etc).

Thanks for any comments!

Kent