Re: still stuck and no gnome anymore

On 25 Mar 2002, Dale Hair wrote:

> > i shut down gdm and said "startx"
> >
> > lo and behold:  up comes enlightenment . . no wonder they call it E!
> >
> > i'm gonna go ponder this for a while
> >
> > as always,
> >
> > thank you
> >
> This happened to me once, after a dist-upgrade I think.  After running
> out of ideas I did the windows thing and rebooted.  Everything was just
> fine after that.

if i reboot, i get the loginbox -> flash flash -> loginbox routine.
so i shut gdm and startx.  rebooting has not helped much this go-round.
without any gnome on the box, gdm can't do much.  guess i'll insert an
exit 0 at the top of /etc/init.d/gdm.

also, having purged everything gnome or ximian related, my apt-get etc is
clogged  with gnome + ximian packages wanting to be re-installed.  so i
guess they are still in deb form in /var/apt...

think i need a night's sleep.

dave

--
Dave Mallery, K5EN  (r/h 7.2 krud; debian woody+ximian)
PO Box 520

no gates                     .~.
  no windows...              /V\
                            /( )\
running GNU/Linux           ^^-^^  (Linux TM Linus Torvalds)
  free at last!