Re: simple database?

On Mon, Mar 25, 2002 at 02:44:25PM -0800, Tom Cook wrote:
> Don't use mySql.  Eventually you will want transactions, or some real

    Mysql-Max already supports transactions. I'm not sure what you mean
    by "Multi-user capabilities" (I'm not a DBA, I just support a
    dev group).

> multi-user capabilities, or real scalability.  Also PostgreSQL is a

    What is "real" scalability? I've used Mysql on tiny machines
    (Tadpole laptop) to dual processor x86 boxen with 2 gig of memory,
    and 6 way Sun e4500s with 4 gig of memory. Database sizes from
    trivial to over 150G of tables on a single machine.

> lot closer to Oracle SQL, IIRC.  In fact, if you want enormous
> databases with good query speed, why not use Oracle?  It is free for
> development (on Linux, at least - not sure about Sun or 'doze).  It
> will cater for all your needs...

    Oracle?

    All your resources will belong to us.

    I'm not knocking Postgress, the little I've used it, it seemed like
    a nice DB. I've got a lot more experience with Mysql, and it too is
    a nice DB. I've also support whOracle, and, well my mother said if
    you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all, but I never
    listened to her much anyway. Oracle is a bloated stinking pig of a
    money pit.

--
Share and Enjoy.