Re: NTFS user readable

"Wim Uyttebroek" <wim.uyttebroek@student.kuleuven.ac.be> writes:
> How can I set my mounted NTFS partition readable for normal users ?
> A normal user can mount the partition, but can 't read this partition...!!

Back when I needed such a capability I created a Unix group called
"windoze" and mounted the NTFS/FAT partition with that GID and
readable by anyone in the "windoze" group. You can read the mount man
page on how to do this. Basically you do something like:

    mount -t ntfs -o uid=0,gid=102,umask=007 /dev/hdc /Windows/C

assuming the GID for the "windoze" group is 102.

This allowed me to still restrict who could read the Windows partition
(or write to it in the case of a FAT file system).

Of course if you don't want to use the "windoze" group idea you can
just use the umask and set it to allow anyone to read it. Like:

    mount -t ntfs -o umask=000 /dev/hdc /Windows/C

The mount commands are off the top of my head, so be sure to read the
mount man page to verify their correctness.

Gary