Re: Disabling X from starting up

> > Please help,
> >
> > I just installed debian, compiled a custom kernel and tried to reboot
> > the system.
> >
> > Everything works great, except X starts up. Since I didn't configure X
> > yet I get a garbled screen. I tried to exit by pressing
> > ALT+CTRL+BACKSPACE, but it seems it restarts every time.
> >
> > Does anyone now how to disable or abort the graphical login manager so I
> > can first configure it ?
>
> check your /etc/inittab.  it probably is setting you to runlevel 5 (xdm)
> with a line that looks like:
>
> id:5:initdefault:
>
> to boot up without x, change it to runlevel 3:
>
> id:3:initdefault:

forgot to mention that to get to a console to change this, hit
<ctrl><alt><f1>.  you should get a login prompt here..  login as root and
enter 'init 3' to switch to runlevel 3. basically it should just kill
xdm, but by changing the runlevel, it won't try to restart it like it
would (i think) if you killed it manually

--
trey