Re: UNSUBSCRIBE

 Hello list readers and Debian fans !

 I write this to ask you to not take actions agains Jonathan Tabaco,
   who has inconvenienced a number of you by sending unwanted emails.

 The reason i request this is because i think it is in the best interest
of Debian.

 Jonathan is sending mail that we would rather not receive,
   but Debian lists sent unwanted mail to him first,
   (and Debian says on its webpages that one can unsubscribe from it's
lists).

 Please do not think that this problem must necessarily be caused by
user error.
 Several people have reported being unable to unsubscribe in the past
few days.

 Although Jonathan's reaction to this (our) problem aggravates the
situation,
   i think that he perceives this as a last-resort action,
   and, according to his mails, he does not Want to spam us.

 I think we should treat this situation like civilised people.
   i.e.: we should not answer something that we perceive as violence
with more violence
   when this 'violence' is really a scream to draw our attention to a
problem we are causing.

 I have forwarded Jonathan's email to listmaster
   and will take further action if the situation is not dealt with soon
(a couple of days).
 I have already mailed Jonathan
   telling him that i forwarded his email and that I will follow up on
it if necessary,
   and brought to his attention that
     spamming people who are not Debian maintainers will not do any
good.

 ---
 To those who are having problems unsubscribing :

 The correct procedure is :
   *  email to debian-user-request@lists.debian.org with a subject of
"unsubscribe".
        (Note: not to debian-user but to debian-user-request)
        or go to www.debian.org and use the webform.
   *  you should then receive an automated request to confirm your
unsubscription
   *  to which you should reply (no need to write anything in the
message,
        just click the reply button).
   * you should then receive a confirmation of unsubscription and no
longer receive listmail.

 Those who have reported being unable to unsubscribe
   have received the request to confirm their unsubscription and replied
to it,
   and then got no confirmation, and listmail kept coming.

 If you are having problems unsubscribing,
   first thing you should do is Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org .
 If that doesnt help, please send an email to the list,
   to anyone you think might be able to help Or to me,
   so appropriate action can be taken.

  ---

  have fun !

    Siward.