autoinstall advice needed

Hi,

I'd like to install woody with an autoinstall floppy.  I've read all the docs
provided in the autoinstall package, built my woody minimal tarball, written
my configs, built a kernel that claims to fit on my 1722 kB floppy and
attempted an install.  It's not working ... I'm hoping people here have some
experience with it and can help me out.

I've tried the install on a few systems (one K6-2 500, the other P166) and
have the same result each time ... after a few minutes of chugging away
trying to load the kernel:

lilo loading linux...
uncompressing linux...
ran out of input data
-- system halted

Floppies are brand new and I've tried several.  I am using the latest
autoinstall package in woody (1.0 IIRC).  The kernel I used to build the
autoinstall floppy was one I made myself (using kernel-package) based on
kernel-source-2.4.18.  I had a very hard time trying to get a kernel that
would fit ... are there any kernels in woody that would be appropriate for
creating the autoinstall floppies?

I've hunted through all Debian list archives and have found little evidence
of people using the autoinstaller yet.  Autoinstall is a killer feature for
me, I've used Debian at home for almost 5 years and wouldn't change it for
anything, I've also used Debian on-and-off in various places of employment
... unfortunately Redhat often wins because of kickstart :-(

I have a Progeny boxed set that I'll dig out tonight, hopefully they have a
prebuilt autoinstall floppy that will work for me ... or at least an
appropriate kernel.

Hints greatly appreciated!
--
Fraser Campbell <fraser@starnix.com>                          Starnix Inc.
Telephone: (905) 771-0017 ext. 223              Thornhill, Ontario, Canada