Re: dosemu: com ports; /var/lock problem

On Fri, Mar 22, 2002 at 09:13:15AM -0600, Cheryl Homiak wrote:
> I got an email from dosemu's maintainer, Herbert Xu, telling me to check the
> permissions of /var/lock. when I do "ls -l" it says: "total 0" and still says
> that when ai do "chmod 1777 /var/lock". However, if I do "ls -l /var" for "lock"
> it says 'drwxr-xr-x". i have /var on a separate partition. Should I change the
> permissions for /var?
> My fstab entry for this partition says:
> /dev/hda7 /var ext2 defaults 0 2

Sounds like /var/lock is a direcotry. With 777 permissions in it, anyone
should be able to create an entry in it.

Try "touch /var/locak/foo" as your nomral user, adn verify that a zero
lenght file gets created.

I'm not certain what the issue with this is, but this will eliminate a
permissions issue there being the cause of the problem.

neither liberty nor safety."
						-- Benjamin Franklin