Re: dosemu: com ports; /var/lock problem

----- Original Message -----
From: "Cheryl Homiak" <chomiak@chartermi.net>
To: <debian-user@lists.debian.org>
Sent: Friday, March 22, 2002 3:13 PM
Subject: dosemu: com ports; /var/lock problem

> I got an email from dosemu's maintainer, Herbert Xu, telling me to
check the
> permissions of /var/lock. when I do "ls -l" it says: "total 0" and
still says
> that when ai do "chmod 1777 /var/lock". However, if I do "ls -l /var"
for "lock"
> it says 'drwxr-xr-x". i have /var on a separate partition. Should I
change the
> permissions for /var?
> My fstab entry for this partition says:
> /dev/hda7 /var ext2 defaults 0 2

in /var, you have to do

%ls lock -dl

to set the perms for lock, you just have to do,

chmod a+rw /var/lock/

dont know about security issues here but im pretty sure that you *dont*
want to set /var to be writable.

HTH,

Shri

Shri Shrikumar             U R Byte Solutions
I.T. Consultant            23 McDonald Road        Tel: (0131) 558 9990
Email: shri@urbyte.com     Edinburgh EH7 4LX       Web: www.urbyte.com