Re: [OT] Redefinition of Black Market [was Re: Screen-free Linux?]

On Thu, 2002-03-21 at 13:04, Karsten M. Self wrote:
> on Mon, Mar 18, 2002, Jean-Marc V. Liotier (jim@jipo.com) wrote:
> > On Mon, 2002-03-18 at 20:42, Ron Johnson wrote:
> > > Apparently so.  It's been 60ish years since WW2, the economy still
> > > functions, and taxes aren't confiscatorialy high (yet), so for us,
> > > the underground (or black) market is in stolen property, etc.
> >
> > If you sell me a piece of kit you very legally own, and I pay you in
> > cash, that's black market : no trace, no taxes paid. The property traded
> > is not necessarily illegal, it's just that the transaction is not
> > visible to the State.
>
> This is generally termed "grey" or "underground" market in the US.  This
> generally doesn't connote illegal activity (though tax avoidance may be
> a motive).  More usually, it's simply a market outside existing,
> established, channels.  Somewhat analagous to P2P networking.

Another valid definition of Grey (but not Underground) Market:
computers and software also "fall" into the perfectly legal, _taxed_
"grey" market when kit is sold outside of channels officially
sactioned by the OEM (the "white" market).

| Ron Johnson, Jr.        Home: ron.l.johnson@cox.net        |
| Jefferson, LA  USA      http://ronandheather.dhs.org:81    |
| "(Women are) like compilers.  They take simple statements  |
|  and make them into big productions."                      |
|     Pitr Dubovitch                                         |