Dual boot default and Compatibility

Hello all,

Well, I've partitioned my harddrive with Partition Magic.
And I am currently downloading Mandrake GNU/Linux, because of everyone's advice.

NOW I know this is for DEBIAN GNU/Linux BUT I have to ask in here (because I don't want to be added to yet another mailing list) and I figure someone might know seeings how everyone kept telling me to get Mandrake GNU/Linux.

Does anyone know how to create a dual boot system with Mandrake GNU/Linux and Windows XP, with Windows XP being the system that boots up as the default OS making it so the computer will AUTOMATICALLY run Windows XP unless I tell it to run Mandrake?

ALSO

Is Debian software (such as abbiword) compatible with Mandrake GNU/Linux and vice versa?

in fact is ALL Linux software compatible with the different OS's of Linux?

Thanks once again for helping me with my questions.

John