Re: Updating glibc 2.1.3-19 to glibc 2.2.5-3 on potato

On Thu, Mar 21, 2002 at 09:09:03AM -0800, dinni bartholomew wrote:
> I am new to debian...
> I keep having problems whenever I want to install an app on this host
> because of glibc dependancies...This is an out the box debian potato
> install and as a result has glibc 2.1.3-19   many of the applications
> that i want to install require at least  glibc 2.2.X.
> Is there some safe way to to just upgrade glibc?
> I would prefer to not have to upgrade this machine woody.

Upgrading to woody *is* the safest way. Attempting to upgrade only the
libc6 package will probably destabilize your system. Building glibc from
source will almost certainly introduce some very subtle problems unless
you're very familiar with what's going on.

> Are there any alternatives?

If you don't want to upgrade to woody, you could build the applications
in question from source.

Cheers,