Re: kermel oops 0002 (Potato, kernel 2.2.17)

----- Original Message -----
From: "Martin Edward John Waller" <martin.waller@flomerics.co.uk>
To: <debian-user@lists.debian.org>
Sent: Thursday, March 21, 2002 9:10 AM
Subject: kermel oops 0002 (Potato, kernel 2.2.17)

> Hello,
>
> What's a kernel ooops? I've started getting them
> on my home system which freezes when they occur.
>
> Could it be failing hardware, or will a kernel
> upgrade solve it?

If there is a pattern - ie always crashed at the same place or when you
do the same thing, then maybe a kernel upgrde will fix it.

If however the crashed seem to be random - it seems more like a hardware
issue. Try compiling the kernel a few times and if that is ok, it may be
software. There are also software to check memory like memtest86 which
is apt-gettable.

HTH,

Shri

Shri Shrikumar             U R Byte Solutions
I.T. Consultant            23 McDonald Road        Tel: (0131) 558 9990
Email: shri@urbyte.com     Edinburgh EH7 4LX       Web: www.urbyte.com