Re: tiny mouse howto - console gpm, X and mouse wheel

On Wed, 2002-03-20 at 14:18, timothy bauscher wrote:
> > I have just seen that some people have problems with the combination
> > of
> > gpm, XFree86 and the mouse wheel support for X11.
> >
> > It has taken a while until I found out what to do.
> >
> > I have a cordless Logitech wheel mouse and now all works.
> >
> > gpm settings in /etc/gpm.conf:
> > device=/dev/psaux
> > responsiveness=
> > repeat_type=raw
> > type=imps2
> > append=""
>
> I just installed gpm after reading your setup.
> My PS/2 mouse instantly left the screen, and
> X would make a beep sound whenever i moved
> the mouse. My settings were:
>
> device: /dev/psaux
> type: autops2
> repeat type: m83
>
> Those were the defaults provided by gpm, so i
> just took them. I think that the repeat type and
> type may be wrong though. If anyone here is using
> gpm with a PS/2, please send me your settings.
>
> > Mouse section in /etc/X11/XF86Config-4:
> > Section "InputDevice"
> >         Identifier  "Mouse0"
> >         Driver      "mouse"
> >         Option      "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
> >         Option      "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
> >         Option      "Buttons"   "3"
> >         Option      "Device" "/dev/gpmdata"
> >         Option      "SampleRate" "60"
> >         Option      "BaudRate" "1200"
> > EndSection
>
> I backed up my XF86Config-4 file first, then i
> added the SampleRate, BaudRate, and device
> you mention above. I did end up getting my old
> mouse back, but i would like a second try at
> getting this wheel to work. Perhaps i should
> RTFM or something...
>
> > The wheel did not work properly without the SampleRate and BaudRate
> > settings.
>
> (==timothy==)
>
> "Live to learn. Learn to love. Love to live."

These are my settings using a Logitech trackball. I believe most
standard mice will work with these.  If you have a three button mouse
leave out Emulate3Buttons option.  GPM must start before X does.

gpm.conf

device=/dev/psaux
responsiveness=
repeat_type=raw