Re: How to install a new kernel when your / partition is neary f

> That's what I really want to find out :-). A couple of years ago, even a 50
> Mb /
> partition seemed OK. IIRC, with debian 1.3 it was just a 3 or 4 floppy
> install.
>
>  From what I gather, when you install a new kernel image using apt-get, the
> old
> one is kept (which is a sensible decision) and present-day kernels (plus the
> modules etc) take up quite a lot of space after unpacking and I have to
> install
> the pcmcia modules at the same time as well. I'm not my linux box now so I
> cannot provide more factual information at the current moment.

Hmm, lots of modules could be eating your inodes.  So you think you have space
but actually have no inodes to allocate.

Or perhaps /tmp is a culprit?  On my system / looks like this:

3.4M    /bin
1.2M    /boot
26k     /dev
4.8M    /etc
8.4M    /lib
2.8M    /sbin

Which is 20mb or so.  /tmp and /root are common places for problems to hide.
Perhaps a copy of the kernel source tarball is still in root's home dir.