Re[2]: Network Card error

Tuesday, March 19, 2002, 7:36:28 PM, Ron Johnson wrote:

>> When I would connect another PC (running Windows) to eth1, I would
>> get errors:

> Well, maybe that is your problem.  Are you using the proper
> cable for direct connections: a cross-over cable?

I bought a crossover cable specifically for this.  And I am able to ping
from one computer to the other, at least until the frame buffer errors
start.

> The best method is to get a cheap 5-port hub or switch.  $50
> is the most you should pay.  Here, straight-thru cables are
> used.  These are by far the most common type of cable.

A switch is next on my list of purchases. The idea is that in a couple
months time, we'll be adding two more computers to the network, sharing
an internet connection. It was my idea to use Linux as a router and
firewall, so I want to get it set up and running before we add the other
computers in.  So, for now, the single crossover cable is adequate.

--
  - Alan Poulton (apoulton@telus.net) -
Multitasking: screw up several things at once