Re: Specific Installing Debian GNU/Linux question

----- Original Message -----
From: "John Lynch" <johnlynch6@hotmail.com>
To: <debian-user@lists.debian.org>
Sent: Wednesday, March 20, 2002 3:24 AM
Subject: Specific Installing Debian GNU/Linux question

> Hello everyone
>
> I have a specific question for installing Debian GNU/Linux.
>
> What is the swap partition and is it neccessary in a dual boot system?
>
> I found a HOWTO with easy english, but some things still go over my
head.

    The swap partition is hard disk space used by the
kernel to make the RAM  seem larger.  Pages
(data) that are not needed in the present are moved to
the swap partition where access is slower, but they are
still readily available.
      It's necessary for Linux to run at its best. Dual boot has nothing
to do with it.  Use a partition equal in size to your RAM if you don't
have a better idea. (some of which will
no doubt appear soon)

Bruce<+>