Re: Need some sound advice - SB Live!

High,

ok, please wrap your lines at 72 chars.

On Tue, 19 Mar 2002, Bill Moseley wrote:

> Argh! - HOWTO overload.
>
> I've got a Sound Blaster Live Value.  I'm running Debian Testing.  I've
> build my own kernel 2.4.17 from kernel-source package.  I did build the
> emu10k1 module.  I ran modconf and selected emu10k1.  emu10k1 loads fine
> without errors.  I can cp some .wav files to /dev/audio and hear the
> sound.  Some .wav files sound ok, some others sound bad.

copy? Use cat for this stuff: cat bla.wav > /dev/dsp

> For what it's worth:
>
> # lsmod Module Size Used by Tainted: P emu10k1 51008 0 ac97_codec 9696 0
> [emu10k1] NVdriver 818912 14 (autoclean) 8139too 13152 1
>
> I'm a bit frustrated by the HOWTOs.  I've found many that show various
> steps (but not always the same steps), but none that really explain the
> reasons for all the steps -- so that means I don't really understand if
> a step applies to me.
>
> I've also seen HOWTOs that show a bunch of lines to add to modules.conf.
> Again, I'm not sure if that applies to me or not.
>
> I think I need soundcore, but I'm not clear what kernel config I should
> use to build it.  I'm not clear if I need ALSA or OSS in addition.
>
> I'm really the kind of person that likes to understand the reasons
> behind the configurations -- which is why I picked Debain.
>
> Anyone know of a good document that's up to date, and also explains the
> various components and how they fit together?  It would be a nice bonus
> if it helped me get my sound working, too. ;)  I would like to get sound
> working, but I'd like to come away learning something, too.
>
> Then, once I get hardware sound working, it would be very helpful to
> know what I need for a mixer and CD/MP3 player to make use of it, too.
>
> Oh, here's part of my kernel config
>
>  fgrep SOUND /boot/config-2.4.17 | grep -v ^#
> CONFIG_SOUND=y
> CONFIG_SOUND_EMU10K1=m
> CONFIG_SOUND_OSS=m

Hmm, you don't say what your problem is. I guess it is that you cannot
play sound as a user.

However, sound is heard when you cat something to /dev/dsp, so I guess the
hardware is working fine, but you will have to add yourself to the group
audio:
# ls -l /dev/dsp
crw-rw----    1 root     audio     14,   3 Nov 22  2000 /dev/dsp
# adduser memyselfandI audio

and relogin. Check with 'groups' to see if you are actually added to the
group.

Now you can play anything you like:
bplay blabla.wav
mpg123 "Dropkick Murphys - The Spicy McHaggis Jig.mp3"
xmms	(mp3 player like winamp)

Greetz,
Sebastiaan