ProFTPD + authentication via PostgreSQL under SID - not working

Hello everybody,

my system is as follows

Kernel: 2.4.18
Debian ver.: SID
ProFTPD: proftpd-pgsql-1.2.4+1.2.5rc1-2 (apt-get'ed)
PostgreSQL: 7.2 (self compiled)

The problem is that, even though I have a *correctly* configure mod_sql and postgres database, proftpd is unable to authenticate via postgres. If I downgrade proftpd to 1.2.4 from woody all works fine, but the dependencies for libpgsql2 are broken so I cannot "apt-get upgrade" the system without running into problems. Well, SID should be upgraded daily I guess ;-)

There for sure is some communication between proftpd and postgres - I have sniffed it - and even more: there is a reply! Both the query and result of it look correct to me. So, what the heck can be wrong?!

OK, to be precise it looks like this

PAM (system account):
        user: test
        pass: haslo

PostgreSQL (virtual account):

        user: test
        pass: test

I logon with user name "test" and password "test" - the reply is short "login incorrect" but in the background a nice sniffer shows that proftpd asked postgres for data about user "test" and received a *correct* reply... but didn't use it. Nice...

So what I do now is logging on with the credentials of the PAM account: just an eye blink later I'm in and hapily ftping. Excuse me!?

Here's my proftpd config part responsible for SQL:

SQLAuthenticate users groups
SQLAuthTypes plaintext backend
SQLConnectInfo ftp_db@localhost ftp_u ******
SQLUserInfo users username uid gid password homedir lcount NULL
SQLGroupInfo groups groupname gid members NULL

and some communication I've sniffed:

ProFTPD -> PostgreSQL

QSELECT username, uid, gid, password, homedir, lcount FROM users WHERE(username='test') LIMIT 1.

PostgreSQL -> ProFTPD

?Pblank.T..username.........."uid...........gid..........$password.........."hom
edir.......? ??? ?...hlcount...........D.....test....100....nogroup....test..../tmp/test
....123CSEL? ??                                             ?ECT.Z

Any ideas? I have none anymore :-/
Or maybe it'll be better if I apt-get remove all libpgsql2 and proftpd files and compile it myself? Naaaah... where would be the sense to have a distro then? ;-))

Ah, this machine is mainly a desktop therefore it has SID not Potato or Woody. SID is unstable, sure, but up2date with the world ;-)

Thanks for *any* help.
--
Ptashek
Na newsy piszący wyłącznie prywatnie