Re: Internet access problem

On Tue, 2002-03-19 at 11:07, Darren Walker wrote:

> Hello Debian,
>
> I have recently installed Debian onto
> an old P75 of mine and am using it as
> an internet sharing server
>
> I am using a modem connection
> and using firewalling with masquerading
>
> I am also running exim and squid
>
> the problem is that it connects
> and masquerades without any problems
>
> clients can browse the internet and send emails
> but for no apparent reason
> HTTP access becomes unavailable after awhile
> it seems to occur after using email but not always
>
> I can ping FQDN without problems i.e. www.yahoo.com
> but can not browse web sites
>
> this is also the case from the server using lynx
> it hangs "waiting for response"
>
> is there any clues as to the cause
> of this problems
>
> I would appreciate any assistance

I take it by your email address that you are dialing into the iprimus
network in Australia. I had problems connecting linux to iprimus dialup
routers, and was informed by iprimus that the "do not support linux".
The problems I had were constantly breaking dialup connections and
problems establishing reasonably long lasting TCP connections (no RST or
FIN packets. The stream just stopped).

I would suggest turning on debugging on your PPP connection. Go
pppconfig and under your connection choose advanced, and then switch
debugging on.

>From the debug info in syslog I saw constant CCP negotiation errors and
problems (Compression Control Protocol). I fixed this by forcing off BSD
and deflate compression on the connection. Edit /etc/ppp/options and add
in these lines

bsdcomp 0
deflate 0
noccp

restart ppp and make sure that the CCP errors no longer appear in your
ppp debug output. Although this removes the compression, it won't slow
your link to much as you think as the modems will still have their LAP-M
or whatever its called.

Basically when iprimus says "we don't support linux" they mean, "we
don't debug our dialup routers, if windows dials OK, then its OK,
right!"

Let us know how you go.

Kind Regards
Crispin Wellington