Re: debianized vim

On Mon, Mar 18, 2002 at 06:14:19PM -0800, Harry Putnam wrote:
| Setup: Woody/testing
|
| After installing vim with apt-get, I find that the debianizations that
| have been done cause sections of my .vimrc, built up over time on
| several different platforms to be unusable.
|
| I don't really know exactly what these do, some are borrowed from
| .vimrcs of others more knowledgable than I.
| I don't remember how to regenerate it, so that I can gunzip the
| helpfiles, retagify, and then be able to use my old code that allows
| writing to gzip files.
| Maybe my code can just be edited somehow so there is no conflict.

Yes -- just remove all your autocommands for handling gzip or bzip
files.  As of version 6, vim now knows how to do that on its own.  (I
think it is a "plugin", actually, but all the same you don't need to
do anything for editing gzipped files to work).

BTW, it looks like you got that snippet of code from the system-wide
vimrc from the old debian packages.  That piece of code isn't in the
new package because it isn't needed any more (and no longer works in
all cases, as you've noticed).

-D

--

Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul.
Rather be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body in hell.