Re: [OT] Redefinition of Black Market [was Re: Screen-free Linux?]

On Mon, 2002-03-18 at 16:24, Jean-Marc V. Liotier wrote:
> On Mon, 2002-03-18 at 20:42, Ron Johnson wrote:
> > Apparently so.  It's been 60ish years since WW2, the economy still
> > functions, and taxes aren't confiscatorialy high (yet), so for us,
> > the underground (or black) market is in stolen property, etc.
>
> If you sell me a piece of kit you very legally own, and I pay you in
> cash, that's black market : no trace, no taxes paid. The property traded
> is not necessarily illegal, it's just that the transaction is not
> visible to the State.

Am I a business, or just a regular Joe?

If I'm a business, then yes, that's the black market.  If I
just sell you my old PC, then that's the perfectly legal (at
least in the USA) secondary market.  Of course, if I make a
habit of buying and selling used kit, then, yes, I would be
engaging in commerce, and then must either register with the
state and collect taxes, or enter the black market.

| Ron Johnson, Jr.        Home: ron.l.johnson@cox.net        |
| Jefferson, LA  USA      http://ronandheather.dhs.org:81    |
| "(Women are) like compilers.  They take simple statements  |
|  and make them into big productions."                      |
|     Pitr Dubovitch                                         |