Problems with gdmconf

I have had my kids' box up and running for a while now (woody), but inexplicably have run into a problem with gdm.

I have them set up to use KDE, but the Kicker panel inexplicably loads and then disappears.  In attempting to fix this, I went into gdmconf.  When fiddling around there, I turned on XDMCP (without stopping to rtfm about it -- I know enough to get into trouble, but not enough to get out again).  That seems to have done something quite negative.  Now the gdm daemon starts, but tells me it can't find a server.  I can start fine with startx, and KDE comes up all right (though with no panels, except when I log in as root).  However, I get an error message to the effect that gdm is not configured properly.  A default server starts, and I go searching for gdmconfig.  XDMCP is turned off, I get everything set so that it has the same settings as on my box, but to no avail.

I have removed gdm and reinstalled it, copying the settings from my machine, but this has been of no effect as well.

The documentation I have been able to find thus far has been singularly unhelpful, being sparse and seemingly only restating the obvious.

(I will post separately about KDE if that helps, but I need help with gnome first.)

TIA

Cam

--
Cam Ellison Ph.D. R.Psych.